The Teacup Junior program is designed for high school ages skiers to create personal growth in skill, fitness, determination, and character through the experience of the high demand of cross country ski racing. Coaching emphasizes excellent technique and training physiology concepts during regular practices on snow at Teacup during the winter months. Athletes in this program can attend Pacific Northwest Ski Association (PNSA) sanctioned Junior National Qualifier races held at various venues in the PNSA region. These races are not required; personal goal setting of any participant allows them to compete in local citizen races, for their high school team, or simply to log personal improvement. It is not necessary to be an experienced skier to be in this program, just a strong desire to improve!
The coaching staff is led by a United States Ski Association (USSA) Certified Nordic Coach. This certification not only ensures coaching at established national quality, it also includes rigorous background checks.
We are proud of our record with this program. Despite being one of the smallest team competing in PNSA races, Teacup athletes frequently place well in Qualifier races and often qualify to attend Junior National Championships. Former athletes from this program continue to ski out of a love for this sport as competitors, coaches, or simply a lifestyle choice. Other participants have used this program as an effective wintertime cross training outlet to enhance their primary sport of running, rowing, paddling, cycling as well as other endurance sports.
Program cost for the winter season is $250.
Key Dates for the Junior Program:
- Friday-Sunday, November 28-30: Thanksgiving Training Camp, Teacup or Anthony Lakes depending on snow at Teacup
- Wednesday evenings, December through February, 5pm: practice at Teacup
- Sunday mornings, December through February, 9:00 am: practice at Teacup
- Friday-Sunday, January 6, 7, 8: Mt. Bachelor JNQ
- Friday-Sunday January 20, 21, 22, Super Tour at Truckee Ca. TBD, this may become a Far West JNQ
- Friday-Saturday-Sunday, February 3,4, 5: Methow JNQ
- Friday-Sunday, February 17, 18, 19: Spokane JNQ
- March 3-12: Junior Nationals, Lake Placid, NY
Contact: Robert Schlichting at firstname.lastname@example.org for registration information or questions regarding the junior program.
The head coach for the Junior Program is Karl Andersson: email@example.com